Thursday, May 20, 2010

Hw 58

I was very touched by both of our quest speakers. I found it interesting how comfortable Rob was talking about how he was comfortable about him being gay and adopting a baby. Now I'm not saying its bad to be comfortable with who you are and what you do because i look up to Rob for doing so. Rob stated that he grew up in a very catholic and puerto rican family, now being Puerto Rican myself i know how hard Puerto Ricans are on there children and to add the icing on the cake being gay in a catholic family isn't the easiest thing. Both Rob and Jeanine said they read parenting books but when it finally came down to it the books didn't help that there "motherly" (i use that term loosely) kicked in. Seeing how both Rob and Jeanine are surrounded by kids 24/7 it was nice to hear Rob say he used some of his skills from the classroom back at home, while Jeanine said she wants her child to be successful at life, and because she works as public safety she knows the pressure that falls with being a kid so she will be more understanding as a mother. But that made me wonder will she really be more understanding or just have a better understanding of why her child acted the way he did.

The same night our quest speakers came to class my mom randomly brought up how hard it was raising me. She got into deep detail how i wasn't like any other child and because i was a girl it made it that much harder to control me. Now when i looked back onto my childhood i don't remember ever being that bad (*muwahahah evil laugh) anyway she started going on about how she never even thought about reading a book because she figured it would all come natural. She also said that help and influence from mother figures in her childhood helped guide her on how to raise me.

Having these quest come in defiantly help me understand parenting a little more. Parents just want the "best" for there children and the way they raise you isn't always based on what they believe its sometimes based off of insights from how they where raised. I hope that once i have children it will all come "naturally" because i find it extremely pointless to read a book about something if it doesn't even help me in the long run.

I now know that parents play a big role in helping there children raise there children and so on and so forth, so i will always remember how my parents raise me and won't be shy about asking for some help/ insights. This doesn't mean i will rely on them all the time to tell me how to raise my children but its nice to know that parents are there to give you help even if you didn't approve of it when you where a young child.


No comments:

Post a Comment